South Orangetown Middle School is closed again this morning. There is a second water main break just 20’ from the original break. The school is the only client affected by the break — no homes at this time. Suez water crews were on the scene at 6:00 a.m. Bill Madden, spokesperson for Suez Water, called The Morning Show and said, “This is highly unusual.” When asked if foul play was at hand he said, “we are investigating all options.”
South Orangetown Middle School is scheduled to reopen this morning after a water main break cut off water at the school and over 80 homes causing the district to cancel classes yesterday. According to Bill Madden, spokesperson for Suez, said, “The break happened at approximately 4:15 a.m. and by 6 a.m. Suez Water crews were on the scene working quickly to fix the problem. Six addresses, including the school, received a boil water alert. Water was restored to the school yesterday and the system was being flushed, according to South Orangetown Schools Superintendent Robert Pritchard.
Part of the Hoboken Terminal went back into service and NJ Transit wants commuters who were involved in the accident last week to know there is now a Lost & Found established where they can retrieve any belongings that were left behind during the evacuation of the train and the station on September 29th. NJ Transit also announced plans to restart Main/Bergen County, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines to a weekday schedule – with a few changes – to and from Hoboken. As of yesterday morning, Tracks 10 to 17 reopened. Train officials said, “Tracks 1-9 will remain out of service until further notice as repair work in that section of the terminal continues.” If you need to retrieve personal items commuters may go to Customer Service Office in Hoboken, located in front of Track 14. You do need identification.
Yesterday, NJ Transit announced that all rail service to and from the Hoboken Terminal will remain suspended indefinitely. The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail at Hoboken is back in service. According to train officials, Thomas Gallagher, the engineer of the train that crash on Thursday morning into Hoboken station killing one and injuring hundreds, has no recollection of the crash. He claims his cellphone was off and in his backpack and that he entered the station at 10 mph. in contradiction to initial investigative reports. One data recorder retrieved from the train’s locomotive was not functioning and provided no information. A second recorder is at the front of the train and has yet to be retrieved. The area, covered in debris, is still too dangerous. In June, the Federal Railroad Administration had begun an audit of the New Jersey Transit after noticing a rise in safety violations.
Due to the tragic events of the Pascack Valley train crashing into the Hoboken station early yesterday morning, commuters should be prepared for alternate travel routes and delays on Friday morning. Service on the Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines remain suspended. MTA officials warn the shuttle bus service will be limited and there is limited parking in Haverstraw and Newburgh for the ferries to the train stations on the east bank of the Hudson River. There are some parking spaces in Cortlandt and in North White Plains. There are public metered lots at Croton-Harmon and at Southeast. Below are links for getting up to date information on rescheduling your morning commute:
Shuttle service Map:
Newburgh-Beacon Ferry: http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/raillink/schedules/newburgh_beacon_start.htm
Tappan Zee Express:
NJ Transit Critical Alert Site:
Rockland County Executive Ed Day has announced that the Rockland Department of Health mandatory water restrictions imposed in July are now lifted. Day said, “We appreciate that efforts of our residents and businesses who cooperated with the water use restrictions and helped get us through this hot, dry period.” He added that we should “continue to use water carefully and conserve whenever possible.”
For commuters this morning Metro-North and NJ Transit will remain in a heightened state of alert. Governor Cuomo has not said how long the 1,000 state troopers and National Guard will be deployed at sites around Manhattan. Trains are operating on a normal schedule. At a press conference, Cuomo urged the public to remain on alert. He said, “We know New York is a target for terrorism.” He added, “Be on constant guard and just assume that there could be a terrorist attack at anytime, anywhere.” WRCR reminds you as you travel through your day, “If you see something, say something.”
“Amazing Grace” VanderWaal, the 12-year-old singer/songwriter from Rockland County put Suffern on the National map last night when she took first place on NBC’s America’s Got Talent. Drowning in a sea of confetti and fireworks she held her hands to her mouth to contain her excitement and then she cried as judge Howie Mandel ran onto stage and hugged her. Grace will now receive one million dollars and headline a Vegas show.
Rockland County Legislators are calling upon Clarkstown Board to formally dismiss all charges leveled again Michael Sullivan and to immediately reinstate him as Clarkstown Police Chief. In a bipartisan action, Legislators voted 10-5 to adopt the resolution, which was first approved by the Legislature’s Public Safety Committee on August 30. Some Legislators noted that in the absence of a countywide police force, towns and villages coordinate efforts with the Rockland County Sheriff and District Attorney, so if there is an issue that roils one town, it also affects Rockland’s four other towns and multiple villages. A copy of the resolution will be sent to Clarkstown Town Supervisor George Hoehmann, the Town Board, Rockland District Attorney Thomas Zugibe, New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, and police associations.
Yesterday, just a day after the Clarkstown board added an additional fifteen charges to the seven previously filed against him, suspended Clarkstown Chief of Police, Michael Sullivan brought a lawsuit against the town board claiming that since his election as Clarkstown Supervisor, George Hoehmann and board members Frank Borelli and John J. Noto have worked in concert to “publicly humiliate and marginalize” him. The suit claims Hoehmann and the board acting as a “non-existent board of police commissioners” is working to “usurp the powers invested” in him as chief executive officer of the Clarkstown Police Department and is designed to force his retirement from the department. Sullivan, a 33-year veteran with an unblemished career in law enforcement is in “excellent health”, enjoys his work, his community and hasn’t considered early retirement. The suit claims that as a permanent civil service appointee with no intention of retiring, the board has “embarked on a scheme to force (his) departure through charges of misconduct to justify his dismissal under the Rockland County Police Act.” In response to the suit, William Harrington, the special prosecutor representing the board stated, “Chief Sullivan’s state lawsuit has no merit. However, having commenced this proceeding, Chief Sullivan has finally, albeit unwittingly, allowed the public disclosure of the unconstitutional manner in which the Police Department has operated under his command.” There will be an initial hearing on the lawsuit Friday.