Be Aware of Carbon Monoxide Issues as Weather Cools

As the weather turns chillier and heating season approaches, Orange and Rockland Utilities reminds customers natural gas appliances, including heating units, clothes driers, water heaters and stoves, need to be properly maintained by qualified professionals. O&R spokesman Mike Donovan says carbon monoxide detectors can provide early warning of leaks before it becomes dangerous…

To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning you should never use a gas oven to heat a room, never leave a vehicle or any gas-powered equipment running in a garage, even with the garage door open, and never use a portable electric generator outdoors near air intakes to the building. If you smell natural gas you should leave the area immediately and call 911 and O&R’s emergency gas hotline at 1-800-533-LEAK (5325).

Snow Closings Updated Regularly

Please click on the image below to view all snow closings for Rockland County.